Monday, March 16, 2009

Fourty Years Ago Today......


Well not quite, but close. I started weaving when I was nineteen. If you are fussy about the math, well, let's just say it is pretty darn close to forty years ago that I began my love and fascination with the grid and patterns composed of threads.

About a month ago, I decided to create this blog about my connection with the loom of my choice, the Macomber Loom. This fine machine, made just around the corner from my house/studio, has been built by the same family since 1936. It dawned on me that Macomber Looms has no website itself. So I have taken up the task of creating this blog to tell stories about my connections to Macomber Looms and welcome others to contribute.

As a weaver who has used a Macomber Loom for 35 years and a sales rep for the looms, I am well acquainted with the loom's history and the possibilities that this equipment offers to weavers of all abilities.

This first posting is just to say "hello". I will be posting soon with photos of the Macomber shop, the loom builders and my current projects on my 56" Macomber.

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear more about Macombers!!! They're all over the place on used loom lists, and I'm never sure how people get additional harnesses for them.

    Plus photos of the seldom, if ever, seen Macomber shop!

    I'll be back!!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue...my plan is to go take some shots of Eddie and Rick later this week...won't they be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all at least a little curious about what that shop looks like and who is behind the scenes there!!!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess this is the closest we will get to a "Macomber website!!" I have been fussing at them for years to do that!!!
    Great to see pix of Eddie and the workshop! Last time I talked to him, he was hunkered down outside in his truck, trying to keep warm! But he took my order and, a few weeks after the snowstorm I got my new apron! I am following your blog!
    join mine here: http://weaversouth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great now I can put a face to that voice I talk to at Macomber. I hope they know how much they are appreciated. They are always so helpful with any question I come up with. They helped me put my first loom together. When I called with questions because my husband bought me a loom and it came all apart in 5 boxes. Great to see the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Macomber. I am such a fan. I love Macomber. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Macomber's are the Cadillac/Mercedes/jaguar's of the loom world. I am the very proud owner of a Macomber that was built in 1964. I recently had a sectional beam built by Eddie for it and use that exclusively now. I recommend Macombers to every weaver I know. Thank you for your blog spot. It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! I have two Macombers and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just bought a 32" Ad a Harness Macomber B5 Serial # 5552 made in Saugus, Mass. Got it for a great price, but does need some work. It has 6 Harnesses, but only 4 are on the loom. The 1st harness is not working right. One side won't go down and looks like the metal hinge at the bottom doesn't want to move. I have read about using silicone spray and vaseline but is there anything else I need to do. I can't get the metal poles to come out either and I don't want to bend them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With looms that have multiple issues, a phone call is best to help diagnose the problem(s). So give me a call at the number on the blog side bar...I am happy to help. Sarah

    ReplyDelete

24" 8 Harness CPJ Macomber for sale

  24" 8 Harness Macomber CPJ Portable Loom for sale. Double back beams with friction brake and warp separator. 4 reeds, storage box, 2 ...