Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Model numbers part two


Here's the scoop on the Portable Loom numbering system as well as the Extra Large Macs.
Portables (Baby Macs)that are older than about 1976 were all numbered as CP 11. After that date the models are labeled as follows:
  • CP-F = 16"
  • CP-G= 20" 6H frame
  • CP-H= 20" 8H frame
  • CP-J = 24"
And finally the Type B1 Folding Looms, or Extra Large Macs are the following models:
  • B1 - M= 98"
  • B1-N = 122"
  • B1-O = 146"
The serial numbers are as explained in my last post, sequential from 1- 10,000. And as I mentioned, these model labels are more for the loom builders, so that they can build the correct parts for your loom. Hope this unravels any mystery you might have had about the model and serial numbers!

This photo is of a prayer flag being woven on one of my portables.

Keep the questions coming! Happy weaving!
Sarah

6 comments:

  1. I am trying to find the age of a loom for sale in my home town ...
    AD -A-HARNESS
    B4 LOOM 230
    L W MACOMBER

    Is there anyway to find out what it is worth and the age before I purchase it/
    Thank-You!
    Tom
    SAUGUS MASS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is most probably pre-1976. I'll get back to you tomorrow with the exact date/age.

      Delete
  2. Tom: This loom is true vintage Macomber - built in 1948! If you decide to purchase it and need parts or help, let me know! best, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to date my Macomber with the serial number B5 857. She's an old girl, like me, and still going strong. The tag says Saugus, Mass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know when macomber changed from cast metal plates to the black/silver labels?

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen ~ I do not know -- but I think it was a LONG time ago. My guess is sometime in the 1950's.

      Delete

24" 8 Harness CPJ Macomber for sale

  24" 8 Harness Macomber CPJ Portable Loom for sale. Double back beams with friction brake and warp separator. 4 reeds, storage box, 2 ...